Nation & World
Business, labor team up on immigration
Two sides often at odds partner on issue, which may give president advantage.
- U.S., China top diplomats discuss N. Korea
- Bulgaria links Hezbollah to attack
- Congress considers putting limits on drone strikes A growing number in Congress is looking to limit America’s authority to kill suspected terrorists, even U.S. citizens.
- WORLD BRIEFS Gas from hot-water system may have caused blast; Egypt’s president welcomes Iran’s Ahmadinejad; Quake in South Pacific prompts tsunami; British lawmakers vote in favor of same-sex marriage
- NATION BRIEFS AP sources: Pentagon to extend benefits for gays; The world’s longest cat dies in Nevada
- Gun background checks drop in January
- Hagel to be fifth Pentagon chief with enlisted time
- Obama urges stopgap budget deal to avoid deep cuts President Barack Obama urged Congress on Tuesday to pass targeted short-term spending cuts and higher taxes.
- Report: French may start leaving Mali in March French troops may start pulling out of their anti-extremist operation in Mali as early as next month.
- States push retention of struggling readers
- FBI: Alabama man engaged in 'firefight’ with officers The man who held a 5-year-old boy captive for nearly a week engaged in a firefight with SWAT agents storming his underground bunker before he was killed.
- Credit fraud case may total $200M
- Brakes key issue in probe of deadly tour bus crash Federal and state investigators hunted Tuesday in the mangled wreckage of a California tour bus for the cause of a weekend crash that left seven people dead.
- 911 call, document shed light on vet’s mindset A 911 recording and documents reveal more about the possible state of mind of the Iraq War veteran charged with gunning down a former Navy SEAL sniper.
- Police to review L.A. clergy abuse files
- Report: Family and medical leave law working
- Arizona woman charged in lover’s slaying testifies A woman charged in the Arizona stabbing and shooting death of her lover resumed testimony Tuesday.
- Today in history