Menu Nov 1, 2013
27 28 29 30 31 1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Latest News from

Man charged after morning chase in Stafford.

A Stafford County man faces seven charges after he sped away from what started as a routine traffic stop Thursday and led police on a chase and manhunt that lasted nearly two hours, police said.

The suspect was eventually arrested when sheriff’s deputies got a tip that he’d just gotten a ride from someone who they said didn’t know he was wanted by the police. Deputies stopped the surprised driver’s vehicle and took his passenger into custody.

Sheriff’s Office spokesman Bill Kennedy said Sgt. Bill Walker was heading east on Courthouse Road near Colonial Forge High School about 9:30 a.m. when a westbound vehicle passed a tractor–trailer while speeding.

Walker turned around and tried to stop the vehicle, Kennedy said, but the driver sped away. The speeding car turned onto Ramoth Church Road and went about three miles before it went out of control and ended up in a field, Kennedy said. The driver then got out of the vehicle and ran off.

Kennedy said the vehicle had significant damage to its tires and front end. It belonged to an acquaintance of the suspect who police said had not given him permission to drive it.

Deputies and a police dog had searched for well over an hour before a resident notified police that the suspect had just gotten into a vehicle.

The suspect had been at a market in the area of Kellogg Mill, Ramoth Church and Mountain View roads asking people for rides, and one person finally consented. He had been in that vehicle only about a minute when it was stopped, Kennedy said.

Reginald F. Miley–Butler, 27, was charged with felony eluding, unauthorized use of a vehicle, possession of a gun by a felon, carrying a concealed weapon, possession of marijuana, driving on a revoked license and reckless driving. He was placed in the Rappahannock Regional Jail under no bond.

Kennedy said the marijuana was on the suspect when he was arrested, and the gun was under his seat.

It was the second time in just over a year that Miley–Butler has gotten in trouble while driving someone else’s car in Stafford, according to previous reports in The Free Lance–Star.

On Oct. 24, 2012, Miley–Butler struck a minivan and a mailbox while driving a roommate’s car on Summerwood Drive.

The driver’s husband spoke briefly with Miley–Butler before Miley–Butler sped away.

The victims got the license number and police tracked him to a home on MacGregor Ridge Road, where police learned that the suspect had jumped out of a window and run into the woods.

When police apprehended him a short time later, the sweating suspect told them he’d been jogging, the earlier report said.

Miley–Butler was later convicted of leaving the scene of an accident and driving on a revoked license. He was sentenced in January to a total of five years and 30 days in prison with all but 13 days suspended, court records show.

Keith Epps: 540/374-5404



Story 13 of 18
Advertisement Close